Sardonic

Cynically Speaking

We'll see

The Windup Girl

The Windup Girl - Paolo Bacigalupi I should have enjoyed this book more than I did. It has all the ingredients I like - dystopia, exotic location (Thailand), interesting characters, and good background premise.The premise is between the depletion of oil the plagues wrought by patented genetically engineered food sources (I particularly enjoyed enjoyed the frequent references to U-Tex rice) the world has once again become large as travel is difficult.Thailand, via strict border control, limiting access to the Global Agri-Business' and tough enforcement by Environment Ministry, has avoided re-occurrences of the diseases and stabilized Thailand's food supply.But 'new' (extinct?) food sources appear seasonally. How?Against this is the Windup Girl. A New Person genetically engineered human by Japan left in Thailand. She is one of four parallel stories going on here.Not sure why I did not like this book more than I did. The writing is very good; I am not a big Steampunk fan and this has many elements of that genre (to me), so maybe that is it.Mr Bacigalupi does provide a satifying, but open-ended conclusion.